Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pride comes before the fall.

So, today was, long. I woke up. I practiced, I spoke.

My speech, I thought, was one of the best of chapel. I tried to build a balance between humor and having an actual point, and I thought it came off well. My voice stayed solid, though my knees did not and I almost fell over a few times. So after my speech I was pretty confident.

So I waited.

And I waited.

And I waited.

Then the moment came, when the envelope was opened, and we learned the truth. I call it the truth because truth is something we can't control, we can't manipulate the truth to what we want it to be, results we can. And that's how the elections went after speeches today. And the truth is, I lost.

But perhaps I shouldn't call it the truth, because I did have control over the results. I could be upset if I wanted to, I could blame the people that didn't vote, or I could just say it wasn't meant to be, but the real truth is that it was my fault. If I had really cared about it, I suppose I would have campaigned harder. I used the excuse that I had a really busy weekend before campaigning started, and that the first half of the week was just crazy, and it was. But its not like I couldn't have started a week ahead, or even two, which some of my opponents no doubt did. I also had hoped that my name recognition, my qualifications, and my speech would make up for my lack of posters, but apparently I was wrong. Which amazes me because I have always believed that posters were the least important thing, and maybe they are, maybe I just wasn't the right man for the job.

So, yes I am disappointed, no I am not mad, yes I think that they can get the job done.

I hope to walk away from this as if it were a Tuesday night sitcom, with some kind of lesson learned. Assume nothing, work for everything. I'm not very good at taking lessons to heart, but I suppose its about time, and I'm sure I have a lot of lessons ahead of me this next year. Thanks to all who supported me.

No comments: