Thursday, March 20, 2008

Busy, busy, busy

This post has nothing to do with how busy I am.

I was trying to find purevolume tonight, and I say trying because I couldn't remember what it was called, when I found it, and the very first feature band I see is called Ice Nine Kills.

This sounds very insignificant, and it would have been if I had seen this any day before today, but it is today. As it happened--as it was meant to happen--I finished Cat's Cradle today by Kurt Vonnegut.

This book was a chance find in a small cupboard in my house the day before I left for Vegas. I knew I would finish my other book, so I thought I'd bring it along. I didn't know anything about it. It wasn't by design, because if I had planned to read any Vonnegut on purpose it would have been Slaughterhouse Five.

As it turns out I started Cat's Cradle yesterday and finished today in the car, cuz it was raining and I didn't want to drive in traffic. Well in the book coincidences and mysteries have meaning and often allude to your karass and wampeter. These are terms which are from a made up religion in the book. If you have ever read Vonnegut you know that how he invents things for his stories.

Well, the name Ice Nine Kills is the fulcrum, the turning point of Cat's Cradle, and so I thought it quite odd that such an insignificant book and insignificant band would line up in my life on such an insignificant day.

To understand my post better you should borrow the book from me and read it. Its very short and pretty good. I recommend it if want to read but don't have a lot of time or want to put much effort in to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO...is the band any good? or pretty much insignificant

i am Ryan said...

no. they are terrible. I was hoping they would have a song alluding to the book and something in the lyrics would make it all worth it. but I couldn't listen to more than 30 seconds of it.