Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It was time for a change..

My blog title was lame. I can admit that. When I came up with my blog I was just trying to make it sound cool, because my blog had no meaning to me. It was another fad that I was gonna get in on before it was too late, and nothing more. But as I write more and more, it has begun to take a certain form in my mind, and has begun to mean something to me, so I wanted to find a title that means something to me. Plus the layout was ugly and it needed to be changed as well.

I chose the title from the end of one of my favorite books, The Great Gatsby. I just re-read this book a week ago and it has really stuck with me as not only an important piece of literature, but as something that I can really relate to in certain aspects. I think to understand this quote better you need some context. It comes at the end of the second to last paragraph, with the subtitle being the last:

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eludes us then, but that's no matter---to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And one fine morning---"

The future is a picture we paint while looking at the past, and the more we stare at the past the better a picture we paint, and this is the very thing that Fitzgerald is trying to warn us of, but I think there's more to it than that. I think that one fine morning we finally look away from the past and see what the present and future really hold, but remembering always what the past held. I want my blog to be that morning for me. I want to reflect on what has happened, but to use it as no more than the frame of the future, and to be able to look forward with unrelenting persistence of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg.

4 comments:

jeffrey greene said...

move passed the past, but don't dwell to long in the future, for it might hasten your present.

jeffrey greene said...

that's a quote from me...

Anonymous said...

love that dr. t j eckleburg

and you know how much i love the book

Anonymous said...

this really helped me today ryan.
thanks.