Friday, July 4, 2008

The now, the future

This summer I've been watching a lot of the West Wing, and I have to say that it is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I think it is the best drama I've ever seen.

The characters are real, and lovable, and hateable, and passionate.

The struggles are not unrealistic, and while being a show about politics, it shows the human consequences at least as much, if not more than the political.

The technical side is clean and precise and emotional and effective.

Aaron Sorkin is simply one of the best.

And beyond that, it has really inspired me. Along with conversations in my Bible study, conversations with friends, and personal reflection, it has helped show me that I do have a path for the next few years at least.

I'm going to law school. I don't know where. I don't know how. I don't know if I will take a year off or not (which is the biggest decision right now. It may be my only chance for the next 50 years to take a year off and do nothing, but if I do I will have to start paying student loans and I will feel like I am falling behind my friends).

But the point is, I have a direction now. Who knows where it will take me? Who knows what 'll accomplish? I certainly don't, but I'm excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust me. I'm ecstatic for you. I really am.

Good job.

Run with this, and run as fast as you can towards it.